Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Night Review


The book Night written by Elie Wiesel, is a book about the Holocaust during World War II. The book tells you about how the Nazis invaded Jews and wiesel’s neighborhood in Sighet. They were sent to concentration camps and had to abandon there homes becoming refuges. Most of them suffered through four years of agony. They were brutally beaten everyday Elie and his family were in a camp called Auschwitz for a while and families were split apart and people were killed left and right. After a while they moved Auschwitz to a camp called Buchenwald this was a more brutal camp. To get there they had to ride in cattle carts packed with about 100 people. People were petrified of where they were going. When the train stopped the Jews had to run 40 miles and if they stopped they were shot on sight the germans were sabotage. When they got to the camp they saw a huge cremator people looked at it in terror. Elie and his father were split up and could only see each other just before bed time for a very short period of time. Elies father got really sick and was in danger of getting selected as getting cremated. Elies father died. Elie was liberated two weeks later, fatherless.

I learned a lot out of this book. I didn’t know as much as I do now about the holocaust now I can see how it could be offensive to some people to say “ i got jewed” or “ that means about as cheap as a jew” and stereo types like that I see how it can be offensive. I could not believe living like Elie did, I’m very fortunate to live in this time and in this country. I understand I have it pretty good compared to a lot of people and I am thankful for that. I defiantly learned a lot out of this book and understand the holocaust now that we read the book Night.

picture from: http://www.meredith.edu/summer-reading/images/night_cover_lg.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment